Calling it “a model for our church and our communities in meeting the challenges of today,” Archbishop Leonard P. Blair blessed Southington Catholic School Aug. 23 and cut the ceremonial ribbon that welcomed a gathering of more than 150 students, family, educators, clergy and friends to the newly formed school. The event celebrated the merger of St. Dominic School, formerly located at 1050 Flanders Rd.; and St. Thomas School, 133 Bristol St., which now serves as the new Southington Catholic School. Mary Pat Wirkus, who was principal of St. Thomas School, will be principal of the new institution, which will be under the joint auspices of St. Thomas and St. Dominic parishes.
© The Catholic Transcript