Created 2-Nov-12
38 photos

In what Archbishop Henry J. Mansell said was “a historic event in the history of the Archdiocese of Hartford,” nearly 2,000 laypeople and clergy gathered inside the Cathedral of St. Joseph May 20 for a Mass and reception marking the 50 anniversary of its consecration. Rising from the ashes of the original Gothic brownstone cathedral that was built in 1892 and destroyed by fire in 1956, the sleek limestone cathedral has been the mother church of the archdiocese since it was dedicated on May 23, 1962. Photos by Jack Sheedy except as indicated.
Sister of Mercy Dolores Liptak recites the prayers of the faithful.Supreme Knight Carl A. Anderson sits in the front pew, beside his wife, Dorian.Supreme Knight Carl A. Anderson and his wife, Dorian, present the gifts to Archbishop Henry J. Mansell.Auxiliary Bishop Emeritus Peter A. Rosazza and Archbishop Henry J. Mansell.Archbishop Mansell and Deacon Reynolds distribute holy Communion.The Knights stand for the Gospel.The Ladies’ Auxiliary of the Knights of Peter Claver exit the cathedral after the MassFather John Gatzak leads a group of priests in a recessional at the end of Mass.Archbishop Emeritus Daniel A. Cronin, Auxiliary Bishop Emeritus Peter A. Rosazza and Auxiliary Bishop Christie A. Macaluso greet people after the Mass.Gustav Gadawski, a violinist from the Hartford Symphony, performs during the reception. Also playing was pianist Mercedes Featherstone.Pastries and more await hundreds of people at a reception after the Mass.Archbishop Mansell greets well-wishers at a reception in the lower cathedral after the Mass.

Categories & Keywords
Category:
Subcategory:
Subcategory Detail:
Keywords: